2 nights / 3 days
The Celtic Ross Hotel
Nature Tour, Wildlife Tour, Eco Tour, Guided Tour
Based on the stunning West Cork stretch of Ireland’s Wild Atlantic Way, our Discover Wildlife Weekends get you closer to Irish wildlife, both on the weekend itself, and on an ongoing basis by helping hone your wildlife watching skills, so you can see more wildlife wherever you go.
** On your Discover Wildlife Weekend you’ll get the chance to: **
*discover more about Irish wildlife and effective wildlife watching
* explore somewhere new with an experienced local guide
* meet like minded people with similar interests
**What are Discover Wildlife Weekends?**
Discover Wildlife weekends are all about exploring the wonderful wildlife of the West Cork coast.
*Some of the best coastal wildlife watching in Europe*
Our base in the Celtic Ross Hotel in Rosscarbery is about halfway between the Old Head of Kinsale and Mizen Head — with Galley Head, Toe Head and Sheeps Head all within easy reach.
These headlands offer some of the best land-based locations in Europe for watching marine wildlife. From any of them you can see large whale species like fin whales, humpbacks and minke whales, several species of dolphins, harbour porpoise, basking sharks, sunfish, seals and of course lots and lots of seabirds.
Headlands are also great places to hook up with migrant birds, including the occasional rarity during the spring and autumn migration season.
*Stunning scenery, amazing wildlife*
But it’s not all about headlands… West Cork has so much more to offer the wildlife enthusiast… from uplands and native woodland to inland waterways and estuaries, to coastal dune systems and rocky shores… there’s a huge diversity of habitats and a wealth of wildlife to explore.
** Some of the things you might see on a Discover Wildlife Weekends: **
Naturally, wildlife is unpredictable, and varies from season to season, day to day, even hour to hour. As always in nature there are no guarantees, and it’s impossible to predict what we will see on any given weekend. That’s all part of the fun… but possible highlights could include:
* The chance to see fin whales, humpbacks, minke whales, dolphins and porpoises in one of Europe’s whale watching hotspots
* Large movements of seabirds along the West Cork coast
* Otters and kingfishers on tidal inlets and waterways
* Visiting waders and wildfowl on coastal mudflats, lagoons and estuaries
* Basking sharks, the world’s second largest fish, cruising just off shore
* Migrant birds passing through during spring and autumn migration
* Resident raptors including peregrine, kestrel, sparrowhawk and occasionally merlin
* Close encounters with grey and common seals
* Charismatic choughs along coastal sea cliffs
* Spectacular diving gannets just off shore
… and who knows what else.
* 2 Nights B&B + 1x packed lunch + 1x group dinner at the Celtic Ross Hotel, Rosscarbery
* All guiding, venues and talks
* 4 hour whale watching / marine wildlife boat tour (weather permitting)